So the story began..........

Our first scan at 9 weeks revealed a big suprise..........twins!!!!
Just after Christmas 2007, with 2 months of growing left to do



Friday 29th February 2008 was the best day of my life, it was the day I finally met the two little people who had set up camp in my tummy for 36 weeks and 6 days. The lead up to this day ended up a bit stressful after a near uneventful pregnancy.

Wednesday 20th February 2008

The day things started to go a litle pear shaped, I had a routine midwife appointment this day, I went alone as Derek was in work and it was nothing out of the ordinary, she did all her checks and then took my BP, I was then asked if I had felt dizzy at all. The previous night whilst getting out of the bath (Ok whilst Derek used all his strength to heave me out of the bath) I got flashy lights in my eyes, at the time I thought I had just stood up too fast (ha! too fast who was I kidding, I didnt do anything fast at that stage!!!). Anyway I told her I had flashy lights and she said she would come visit me in a few days to take my BP again. In my naive little bubble of lovelyness I thought nothing more of it and waddled off home.

Friday 22nd February 2008

The midwife turned up and took my BP, decided she wasnt happy and told me to get my coat and go to the hospital!!!!!!!! so I waddled up 3 flights of stairs to get my coat, then back up again to get my notes, then back up one last time to get my phone and bag!! I rang Derek who was in work and he came straight home and off we trotted, well waddled (me) and strided 20 steps ahead (long legged Derek), to the hospital.
I was monitored on the delivery suite for a few hours then given the wondeful news 'we want to admit you for monitoring' I had a major sulk (I reverted to age 15 and even had tears in my eyes) I DID NOT want to stay in hospital, obviously my sulk fell on deaf ears and I ws admitted there and then.
From Friday night to Sunday night I was monitored and had to do a 24 hour wee sample (there is NOTHING more classy than being given a huge bottle and told to do every wee in it - how!!!!! I couldnt see my feet let alone a bottle to bloody wee in!!!!).
I was finally discharged on Sunday night but told to return the next morning just to check my BP and monitor the babies.

Monday 25th February 2008

We go back for a 'quick bit of monitoring', 8 hours later a very hungry and tired and bored Kelly and Derek are told that once again I am being admitted, cue more stroppy hormonal tears but once Derek had calmed down (ha!) he went home to get my hospital bag again.

Tuesday 26th February 2008

I have my one and only ante natal class, a twin one no less! it lasted an hour and was a bit of a waste of time plus I think I scared the only other mum to be there witless as I was hot sweaty uncomfy etc and was asked every 5 mins if I was ok, I eventually told them I was actually admitted and saw the fear in their eyes!!!!! A quick visit to SCBU made everything seem so real and so scary all of a sudden especially with lots of 'you must prepare yourselves that you will end up in here in all likeliehood' comments and meaningful looks at me!

Wednesday 27th February 2008

My wonderful Mum arrived, I now realise how much I scared her by phoning and crying down the phone and telling her all what was going on etc.
I had another scan and the lady was slightly worried about one of the babies and the lack of fluid but after much scanning she decided that all was in fact ok and I could go home (whoop whoop) so we went back up to the ward to collect my stuff only to find that once the ward sister had read through it all that the ultrasound lady had not noted down that the waters were in fact all ok, I begged, I pleaded, I cried, I pouted nothing! I was not allowed home again. Just after Derek left to go work I was sat chatting to my mum when I finally met my consultant, he came to tell me that all things considered there was no point waiting for things to get worse and that I would be having my babies on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did ask if Derek had paid him to choose that date (he wanted 29th February so he only hd to buy them presents every 4 years - he could peel an orange in his pocket my husband!!! I wanted March 1st - St Davids Day. I was due on March 23rd and Derek did originally want me to hold out until his birthday on March 31st, you can guess my response!!!)

So I got to go home on the Thursday to get myself ready, my Mum got my Dad to come up and to be totally honest that night is a blur, I know I had a bath, my dad set the babies mobiles up for their cots, I repacked my hospital bag (again) and I tried to sleep and prepare myself for becoming a twin mummy








No comments:

Post a Comment